Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Want What You Have

The following post is inspired by an excerpt from "Meditations from the Mat" by Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison. 




Back in 2008 I picked up Rolfs' book and started reading it. By March of the next year I was engaged in his Yoga Teacher Training.


Interesting how the universe puts things in-front of you before they happen. Even more interesting is that we don't necessarily realize it. It takes being in tune with a Higher Power to start to become aware. So, this morning, I picked up Rolf's book again, asking for a message; "What do I need to know today?"


Day 58: 
"All that I want for you, my son, is to be satisfied. And be a simple kind of man, someone you can love and understand..." Lynyrd Skynyrd


At the end of this entry there is the most beautiful paragraph ever:
"On the mat I have learned no to live too fast. Troubles have come and they have passed. I found a woman and I found love. And I try never to forget that there is something up above. I've learned not to lust, and to believe that what I need is in my soul. I follow my heart and nothing else. I've become a simple man who I can love and understand. I am satisfied."


THAT'S what I want.......... and I have faith that I am on my way.


At the end of the Yoga Teacher Training course, during graduation, one of the students wrapped up his experience by saying to Rolf, "I want what you have..."


Rolf's response was simply, "I want what YOU have." So, not only is he satisfied, but humble too. Going further, he also recognizes qualities in others that he wants to cultivate. There is so much to learn on this simple path.

No comments:

Post a Comment